The only feature-complete SEO plugin that follows the white-hat guidelines and rules imposed by WordPress and search engines.
Start using proven methods to optimize your website for SEO. Clean, dedicated, extensible, unrestricted, ad-free, and no strings attached.
To top it off, this is the fastest full-featured SEO plugin, and it blends right into your WordPress website, without leaving you in the dark.
It’s easy to get started. Activate this plugin, and your site’s instantly protected against prominent SEO attacks. The SEO Framework will also prefill all critical meta tags for you. A real time-saver. Ingenious.
We poured over 18 000 hours into this plugin. Here are the results:
It is brilliant.
The SEO Framework is an expert system for SEO. It is the only solution that can intelligently generate critical SEO meta tags in any language by reading your WordPress environment. This automation saves you a considerable amount of time that could be used to write more content or focus on other tasks. It also removes the need for advanced SEO knowledge.
It comes preconfigured.
With The SEO Framework, we provide an excellent starting point for your website by rationally optimizing all your pages. Naturally, you can also tweak it however you like. If you’re not an SEO expert, learn what you may wish to optimize in our Setup guide.
It helps you optimize your metadata.
We made the only SEO plugin that follows Google’s webmaster guidelines to the letter. It took years of research and tweaking to translate this well inside your WordPress interface. Finally, you can freely optimize your pages without having to worry about making critical mistakes.
It creates a beautiful overview.
On your post overview pages, you’ll find color-coded guidelines. They suggest you how to improve your pages as you hover over them with your mouse. For example, when your titles are unbranded or when WordPress blocks indexing. Instinctively, touch-and keyboard navigation is also supported.
It includes exceptional support.
We don’t outsource our support. We’re here for you. Feel free to drop by our support forums at any time to ask a question. More than 1400 inquiries have been answered personally, typically within 48 hours in the past five years.
It leaves no room for errors.
We focus on the quality of features you need over the quantity on features you don’t. This trait makes this plugin unique, faster, more accurate, nearly bug-free, and more sustainable. The added benefit is that your site is unlikely to get penalized by search engines. We won’t steer you into writing unnatural content or allow you to trick search engines.
It remains genuine and pure.
We built The SEO Framework for small to large corporations and enterprises. The interface is entirely accessible and seamlessly integrates within your dashboard. Therefore, interacting with this plugin feels natural. It might feel dull, but your WordPress dashboard shouldn’t be a billboard for our branding. We won’t ever change this.
It improves search presence.
The SEO Framework ranks your website distinctively by enabling breadcrumbs for Google Search, and by automatically generating titles and descriptions according to Google’s guidelines. It also notifies Google, Bing, and all connected search networks automatically of your website’s changes with its built-in sitemap.
It makes social sharing easy.
The SEO Framework automatically supports and allows you to further tailor the Open Graph, Facebook, and Twitter Cards protocols. It helps your posts stand out when they’re shared on various social networks, including Pinterest, Discord, and Whatsapp.
It feels more than accessible.
We handpicked our color scheme so that people with any medically recognized color-vision deficiency can distinguish the guidelines set by search engines. We also implemented full keyboard-navigation and screen-reader support.
It protects you from mistakes.
The SEO Framework steers you from making significant and common SEO mistakes. It leaves little room for you to mess up because the plugin already does everything SEO for you. For example, it automatically prevents duplicated content mistakes by enforcing strict canonical rules.
It follows best-practices and beyond.
The biggest problems with WordPress plugins are security and compatibility. As part-time security researchers, we focus on making this plugin impenetrable. The SEO Framework also uses WordPress’s API whenever possible, making this plugin integrate neatly with every other plugin written with that in mind.
It has developers at heart.
We encourage other developers to enhance and add functionality to this plugin. We’ve done so ourselves, already, with our extensions. Check out our API, and feel free to contribute!
It respects your privacy.
- Used another plugin? Easily migrate your SEO data.
- Need a helping hand getting started? Read our quick setup guide.
- Want to improve your pages? Learn how to optimize your metadata.
Do more with extensions
For additional functionality, check out our free companion plugin Extension Manager. It provides numerous free and paid extensions, such as:
- Focus guides you through the process of writing targeted content that ranks with focus keywords and synonyms.
- Articles enhances your published posts by automatically adding important Structured Data.
- Honeypot catches comment spammers through four lightweight yet powerful ways.
- Cord helps you connect your website to Google Analytics and Facebook Pixel.
- Local lets you set up important local business information for search engines to consume.
- AMP binds The SEO Framework to the AMP plugin for AMP supported articles and pages.
- Monitor keeps track of your website’s SEO optimizations and statistics.
- Incognito hides all development-comments from The SEO Framework.
- Origin redirects attachment-page visitors back to the parent post.
- Title Fix makes sure your title output is as configured. Even if your theme is doing it wrong.
Visit our extensions overview page for more information.
Unbranded, free and for the professionals
The SEO Framework is a uniquely white label plugin that blends seamlessly into your WordPress dashboard. This means that we don’t even put the name «The SEO Framework» anywhere within your WordPress interface. No ads, no nags. Nobody has to know about the tools you’ve used to create your website. Note that we output standardized development-comments distinguishing the plugin output in source code. You can remove these with our free Incognito extension.
Behind the screens
The SEO Framework works on many things without notifying you, because the best software is fast, nimble, responsive, and should save you precious time. Here are a few things it does behind the screens.
- It prevents canonical errors for categories, pages, subdomains, and WordPress Multisite domain mapping.
- It stops SEO attacks that are caused by pagination exploits in WordPress by telling the search engine to look at the existing last page instead.
- It discourages 404 pages and empty categories from being indexed, even when they don’t send a 404 response.
- It automatically notifies Google and the Bing network on website updates when sitemaps are enabled.
- It discourages search engines from indexing feeds and the sitemap. This doesn’t mean they won’t use them; only, they won’t show them in their search results.
- It directs search engines from the comment pages back to the post storing those comments.
The SEO Framework supports:
- PHP 7.2 and higher.
- WordPress 5.5 and higher.
- Internationalization through WordPress.org.
- Unicode (UTF-8) character recognition and rendering, including Emoji and CJKV (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese).
- Right to Left (RTL) languages (Arabic, Hebrew, Farsi, et al.), through its interface and metatag generation.
- Complete color-vision deficiency accessibility thanks to a carefully picked color scheme.
- Full keyboard navigation, so that you can inspect tooltips quickly without ever having to reach for your mouse.
- Full screen-reader accessibility via field anchors, ARIA labels, and title attributes.
- WordPress Multisite setups, this plugin is in fact built upon one.
- Detection and output of robots.txt and sitemap.xml files.
- Full integration with WordPress Core sitemaps.
- Output of structured data via Schema.org JSON-LD scripts.
- Altering oEmbed for improved sharing on Discord.
- Detection of various other SEO tools to help you switch graciously.
- Translation plugins like WPML, Polylang, WPGlobus, and MultilingualPress.
- E-commerce plugins, like WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads.
- Editing posts and terms via WordPress’s native bulk-and-quick-edit interfaces.
- Headless mode via a single constant definition.
Copyright legislation notice
In a few words: The SEO Framework allows search engines to do what they’ve been doing for the past 20 years via its preconfigured copyright settings.
When you activate The SEO Framework on any site, you automatically grant rights to content aggregators, among Google, Bing, and Yandex, to obtain and use information from the site, including written work, images, audio, and video. You can control these rights via the robots-meta settings brought by this plugin. Your rights and the effectiveness of these settings are subject to your website’s region and language, and the physical or virtual origin of the platform and their potential users through which your website’s information is obtained and shared. It is up to the aggregator to honor your rights and the requests brought via The SEO Framework.
If you wish to learn more, please refer to the EU commission on copyright. These rulings may propagate its effects through regions outside the EU.
This plugin requires:
- PHP 7.2 or higher.
- WordPress 5.5 or higher.
- Any modern browser for administration.
- Install The SEO Framework either via your WordPress dashboard using plugin search or by uploading the files to your server.
- Either network-activate this plugin or activate it on a single site.
- That’s it! The plugin now optimizes your website for SEO. It also protects your website against SEO attacks.
This plugin auto-configures its global settings
However, it would be best if you read up on our plugin setup guide to get the most out of The SEO Framework.
This plugin auto-configures SEO meta settings
However, you may want to read up on our page improvement guide to learn how you can optimize your pages.
Get more SEO power
Optionally, also install our free Extension Manager plugin for additional SEO solutions.
Is The SEO Framework free?
Absolutely! It will stay free as well, without ads, tracking, bloat, or nags!
This plugin is slim yet all-inclusive. It’s 100% freeware, not crippleware.
Is there a premium version?
No. We treat this plugin as a premium plugin already.
However, we do offer many free and paid extensions that help support this free plugin. We provide these via our free Extension Manager plugin.
Why is there no analytics, tracking, or 404 monitoring?
SEO experts that use advanced tools such as Ahrefs, SEMrush, Screaming Frog, and Google Analytics prefer using The SEO Framework because it doesn’t try to do their job haphazardly.
To correctly analyze your website, it must be done from the outside. If we load these features on your site, bad robots will cause thousands of false positives that fill your database with useless information that doesn’t apply to search engines. We refrain from this because it won’t ever help you anyway.
I have a feature request, a question, or found a bug.
Please visit the support forums and kindly tell us about it.
We’ll try to get back to you within a week. Typically, we reply within three days.
I am a developer; how can I help?
Any input is much appreciated, and everything will be considered.
Please visit the GitHub project page to submit issues or even pull requests.
Learn more about contributing.
What do the colors tell me?
We use different colors to convey messages. Red is an error that you must resolve. Yellow is a non-critical warning that you may want to address. Green is good. Blue is informational and situational. Gray is undefined or unprocessable.
The sitemap doesn’t contain categories, images, et al.
Not having every single page listed is not an issue. Search engines love crawling WordPress because its structure is consistent and well known.
If a visitor can’t find a page, then why would a search engine? Don’t rely on your sitemap, but on your content and website’s usability.
The SEO Framework takes all publicly queryable posts, pages, and CPT and puts them in the sitemap.
If you don’t want a page in the sitemap, consider enabling the
noindexoption for it. This option will also remove the page from search engine result pages.
If the link shouldn’t be in the sitemap because it’s meant for structural reasons, then inform the plugin or theme author that created them.
You should tell the author to check out the «
rewritepost type arguments.» The plugin or theme author should know what that means.
In the meantime, you can disable SEO for the unwanted entries via the «General SEO Settings» under «Exclusions.»
Why aren’t focus keywords included?
Google warns about the keyword stuffing approach implemented by some other SEO plugins. It forces users to write unnatural content, and it can have adverse effects on your site’s ranking.
Modern search engines use AI to understand the context of your articles. This means that as long as you write relevant content, you shouldn’t have to worry about keywords.
However, we implemented the same API Google uses to help you find appropriate synonyms and inflections for your keywords. This functionality is part of our premium suite of extensions.
What do the application/ld+json scripts do?
The JSON-LD scripts are search engine helpers that tell search engines how to connect and index the site. We do this via the Schema.org standard.
They can tell the search engine if your site contains an internal search engine, which social sites you’re connected to, and what page structure you’re using. This is also referred to as structured data.
The SEO Framework does not provide the display of breadcrumbs. This is theme-territory. This plugin only annotates them for search engines via a JSON-LD script.
If you wish to display breadcrumbs, then your theme should provide this. Alternatively, there are other plugins that help you do this.
Contributors & Developers
“The SEO Framework – Fast, Automated, Effortless.” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“The SEO Framework – Fast, Automated, Effortless.” has been translated into 22 locales. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Interested in development?
This minor update addresses a change in WordPress 6.0 that causes taxonomy sitemaps to crash, allows paginated deindexing to supersede forced indexing, and improves image cropping by preserving metadata.
This minor update improves image processing, reducing TSF’s load impact by roughly 20% when generating metadata. We also added WordPress 6.0 support for image filesizes, making social sharing even more robust.
This minor update addresses a regression where the singular-archive canonical URLs always pointed to the first page.
This minor update addresses a regression where the homepage canonical URL was missing a trailing slash.
This minor update addresses a few regressions brought in v4.2.0; it fixes the canonical URL for paginated categories, corrects an API typo, and rectifies a few edge cases. TSF now also supports PHP 8.1.
4.2.0 – Perfect
Come with me, and you’ll be in a world of pure imagination. – Gene Wilder, Anthony Newley, Leslie Bricusse
- This update brings new post-type-archive settings. You can now edit their titles, descriptions, social and visibility settings, and even add redirects on the SEO Settings page.
- Fancy a custom site title for SEO purposes only? Check out the new title settings.
- You will find that the sitemap’s stylesheet now has its URLs centered; it also supports mobile devices.
- Developers can now enjoy using the new
tsf()function — an alias of
- If you’re a developer, you should also check out our perfectly tuned
fmemo()functions, which help make TSF so performant.
Psst: Check out our Cyber Sale.
TSF is finally what I (Sybre) envisioned it to become when I first named it «The SEO Framework»: It’s lightning-fast, hassle-free, and has all necessary options while giving you the best in class experience. I hope you enjoy what I believe is a perfect product!
To me, The SEO Framework is finished. Done. It’s excellent. This doesn’t mean its journey ends here. Now, it’s time to add features you want. A restyled interface, migration support, custom title generation, more structured data fields, and many other community proposals are under consideration.
A perfect tip
This update comes with updated browser styles and scripts. Not all browsers get these for you; so, the interface might appear broken (and your «inputs» seem to be «removed»). Try a different browser, or clear your favorite browser’s cache. That ought to do the trick.
Environment upgrade notes
WordPress 5.1 through 5.4 are no longer supported. Here’s why:
- Over 66% of all WordPress sites are using WordPress v5.5 or later.
- Newer versions of WordPress are faster, more reliable, and easier to work with; for both you and us.
- Supporting past versions takes time away that’s better used implementing new features.
PHP 5.6 through 7.1 are no longer supported. Here’s why:
- Almost 80% of all WordPress sites are using PHP v7.2 or later.
- Newer versions of PHP are faster and more secure. For us, they’re also easier to work with.
- Again, supporting past versions takes time away that’s better used implementing new features.
Support the development
Practice makes perfect. So does working 16 hours a day.
- You can find the full changelog here.